The Rotary Club of White River Junction, Vermont, USA
The River Log
August 15, 2017
Read "Family Tradition",
The Rotarian, August 2017, p, 39-47.
The Pledge was led by President Rich. The song "America" was led by Phil.
Gayle gave Grace.
Jess Turner, The Villages, Florida; Ed Nichols, Sebring Fla.
Happy Dollars: The Sergeant-AT-Arms duties were performed by our own Kangaroo Judge, Ray Stanford. Many $$s were collected for Pins, Name tags, late, leaving early and fines.
The following Rotarians were happy because:
* Rich - he is still working on projects around the house.
* Chip - he and his wife are celebrating their 49th anniversary next week.
* Jim - his church rebuilding plans passed the Lebanon Planning Board; he is leaving for a BlueGrass Festival in Litchfield, Me.
* Phil - his four year old peach tree is produciing this year. He learned they were ripe when finding some that had fallen on the ground.
* Kathi - she is moving to Maine; the Board of Directors would not accept her resignation so she can visit clubs in Portland, Me. until she transfers.
* Brad - he has finished installing a radon system in his house and an $800 dehumidifier system.
* Kim-Zoe - she is going to Mass. to baby sit her granddaoughter.
Late: Brad Cell phone: None
No Pin: Rich, Phil, Brad No Badge: Brad
Leaving Early: Gayle
Member proposed fines: Chip proposed a fine of Pres. Rich for calling for the
Sergeant-OF- Arms to do his duties. There was so much hubbub about it that Chip said, "I'll pay the fine for him"! And he did. And a great laugh was had by all.
Jess drew Ray's ticket. Ray chose a brown stone heart and did not win the "pot".
Sing-A-Long: No songs today! ;-( Another opportunity missed to improve your attitude and health!
Our visiting Rotarian, Jess Turner, described his community in Florida, (The Villages). there are about 120 K people living there and they call it the Disneyland for Adults. Golf carts are used for transportation through out The Villages. With time on their hands everyone is ontime for appointments and usually early.
Rich was not able to reschedule next weeks speaker to today. As next week was planned to be a Club Assembly he conducted several items of busines that needed Club approval.
1. The District Golf Tournament is being held in Keene on August 18. The Board approved contributing $250 to sponsor the signage for a tee and a green. Motion was made, seconded and approved to accept the action. The District hopes to raise $50,000 for Pure Water for the World.
2. The Keene Rotary is sponsoring a marathon. White River Rotary members man a water station in exchange for Keene members volunteering at the Polar Express. Margo passed around a sign up sheet for participation.
3. Gayle noted that a Glory Days of the Railroad sign up sheet will be passed around next week. The White River Club provides food service for the event more as a service rather than a fund raising event. Some funds are usually made over expenses.
4. George inquired if there was interest in a Lake Sunapee Dinner Cruise on September 15, 2017.
There was encouragement to proceed with the activity. (It is a gastronomical delight.)
5. Phil presented two names to be published to the membership for membership in the Club.
Watch for a specific announcement via email.
6. Rich announced that the Town Manager was approved as an Honorary Member. He has done a great job in his first year in support of the community.
7. Rich announced that Kathi's position on the Board of Directors will be filled by PJ.
President Rich led The Four Way Test and the Rotary Motto.
* Kathi Perkins anounced that today was her last day to attend White River Rotary. She is moving to Maine to be near family. She will maintain her membership until she transfers to a Rotary Club in Portland, Me. As a parting gift Kathi made a $100 contribution to the club. Thank you Kathi. We will miss the energy that you gave our club in your short tenure.
Wed Aug 16 Polar Express Committee Quechee Visitor Center 5:15 PM
Tue Aug 22 Regular meeting. Hotel Coolidge. 12:00 Noon
Mon Aug 28 Community Dinner. Listen Center. 3:00 PM
Tue Aug 29 Regular meeting. Hotel Coolidge. 12:00 Noon
Students of the Month: Honored every month between October and May on the second Tuesday at the Hartford Area Career and Technology Center.
Service Above Self Awards: Presented two or three times a year to high school students who have served their community in a volunteer program.
Members at the meeting:
Phil Hammond, Richard Hoffman, Margo Howland, Chip Lewis (H), Kipp Miller,
Gayle Ottmann,Kathi Perkins, Kim Potter, Brad Rostron, Jim Rostron,
PJ Skehan, Ray Stanford, George Wenz. (12)
(26 - 4 = 22)
Rotarians in Service to the community:
Community Members helping Rotary:
Rotarians at Rotary Social Events:
Rotarians We Missed:
Alice Baird, David Briggs, David F. Ford, Jeremy Greeley, Scott Hausler,
Sean Kuit, Dave Landry, Aaron MacAskill, Skip Nalette, Bob Platt,
Nancy Russell, David Saturley, Lisa Saturley, Brad Vail. (14)
(See the Website www.whiteriverrotaryusa.org for make up times and locations.)
12 / 22 = 55 % at the meeting.
Make Ups Reported:
Board of Directors: Kathi, Brad, Kim, Phil, Dave L., Dave S., Margo, Gayle, Rich, Jim.
Community Dinner: ******************************************************************************************************************
Notes by Gayle Ottmann River Log Construction by Phil Hammond
Editing by Gloria Hammond Keyboarding and Email by Phil Hammond
Pictures by Kim-Zoe Potter