|| The River Log
The Rotary Club of White River
June 12, 2012
June 14 is Flag Day, commemorating the adoption of the U.S. Flag in 1777. The Rotarian, June 2012, p. 21.
Present: Susanne Abetti, David Baker, Nico Bekker, David Briggs, Dennis
Driscoll, Harold Elliott, David F. Ford, Phil Hammond, Frank enison, Dave Landry,
Aaron MacAskill, Kipp Miller, Gayle Ottmann, Carmelle Paulson,
Nancy Russell, David Saturley, Ray Stanford, George Wenz,
(27 - 3 = 24)
Rotarians We Missed:
Grant Drake, Gloria Hammond, Aaron Jenkyn, MaryAlice Leonard-Heath, Kirsten Murphy,
Skip Nalette, Lisa O'Neil, Lisa Saturley, Al Wesolowsky.
(See the Website www.whiteriverrotaryusa.org for make up times and locations.)
18 / 24 = 75% at the meeting.
Terri Minelli, Woodstock
Make Ups Reported:
PR Committee: Nancy, Frank, Dave S., Gayle. Polar Express Committee: Lisa O., Grant D.
David S. and Gayle O.
The Pledge was lead by Pres. Landry. The song "America the Beautiful" was lead by Phil.
Grace was given by Dave Baker.
One lonely song was squeezed in at the end of the meeting: "R.O.T.A.R.Y." However, a wonderful memory was recalled when Terri Minelli's daughter (around age 7) and Phil sang a duet of "It's a Grand Old Flag. The young lady is 17 now and still singing, mom says. Phil invited Terri to bring her to a meeting so they could sing a duet once more.
Happy Dollars: The following Rotarians were happy because:
* Ray - $ for Fairbanks, Alaska and $ for Bayonne, N.D. - guests at his B&B.
* Phil - $3.00 to sing Happy Birthday for Larry Chase, to give out U.S. Flags in Larry's tradition and to announce he had two things to auction off. One was the Balloon Ride he won last week and the other was a hat and golf certificate left from the Silent Auction.
* Harold - Participated in a Flag Day ceremony for the Bellows Falls Elks Club - very nice ceremony.
* George - $ for his Hero, Dave Landry, that attended the HHS Awards program and stayed to the end. $ $ for Sam Johnson and Joseph Johnson who earned well deserved awards.
* Dave Baker - $ for well attended awards ceremony - many deserving students.
* Terri Minelli - great to be back at White River Rotary as visitor from Woodstock.
* Aaron M - presented check to Kipp for the 50/50 ($61.50); felt Kipp should pay a $ for getting the check so fast.
* Frank - $$ for grandson, Andrew. who has been accepted at VT Law School. Andrew is the son of Carol who makes the felted handbags for the Silent Auction. And for notice that he will be leaving for Nova Scotia for a week visiting with relatives and friends. He told about a mayor of a town when Frank was "young" and the man is still mayor! Following Frank's happy dollar, we sang Happy Birthday to him as he will be gone next week.
* Nico - $ for Holland's loss to Denmark (European football, known as soccer). He will update us next week as Holland plays Germany. $ for his wife's safety at the Alamo. However, $$ for the fall she took helping her mother in Connecticut and ending with a sprained ankle and a broken arm. Nico says Connecticut is not as safe as the Alamo.
* Nancy - $ for the hard cast being off and a soft cast for the rest of the summer.
* Harold - $$$$$ to celebrate that all 5 siblings will be together this weekend for the
first time in 15 years.
* Dave Landry - $ the Awards ceremonies are over. $ the Quechee Balloon Festival will be over this weekend. $ that his daughter is going to have a baby. "The picture shows a stem on the apple, it is a boy" !
* Susanne - her husband is back in town.
Late: Susanne, Geroge Cell phone: Dave Landry
No Pin: Dennis, Aaron M., Susanne No Badge: Susanne
Dave Baker, Aaron M.
Member proposed fines:
Terri drew Gayle's ticket. Gayle chose a pink diamond and did not win the "pot".
Membership Chairman, Dave Saturley conducted a new member induction ceremony for Herbert Campbell. Herb was pinned by his sponsor, Phil.
Prior to the meeting Chairman Saturley conducted an orientation for Herb and presented him with several pieces of literature.
Pres. Landry lead The Four Way Test and the Rotary Motto.
* Frank - After singing Happy Birthday to Frank, he commented that singing the song to him in comparison to the version sung for Larry, "proves you don't have to be sick to get better".
* Nancy - complimented Frank's hosting of the Public Relations Committee and the great refreshments that he provides. However, she states the committee is full. Frank counters that all are welcome at the meetings.
* Dave S reported that help will be needed for the June 25 Community Dinner. Both Dave and Lisa will be unavailable.
* Dave S reminded all that the new District Governor, Tony Gilmore, will be visiting us on July 10 along with our District Representative to RI and several Past District Governors.
* Board of Directors Meeting July 10 at 10:45 AM at the Hotel.
* Mr and Mrs Tanaka, Danto's parents, will be visiting the club the same day, July 10.
* June Board of Directors meeting, June 18, 4:30 PM A.M. Peisch Conference Room.
* Dave Landry spoke about the awards given out:
Charitable Fund: Branna Olmstead
Al Kerr Award: Alicia Cerasoli
Miller Award Jasmine Guyette
* Dave Landry read a thank you note from Courtney Lancour for the Service Above Self Award.
Also, he read a note from Camp Ta-Kum-Ta for allowing them to present to the Club.
* Phil spoke about the great day he and Gloria had with Danto. They took him to see Gloria's 100 year old mother. (Danto is impressed by age) They had lunch at the Big Red Apple Buffet in Concord, N.H. and enjoyed seeing Danto eat two plates of Japanese food. They then went to the Discovery Center to view the exhibits and see a planetarium presentation on the night sky.
* Dave Briggs spoke about Danto working with his 89 year old mother on Easter at the Hotel Coolidge Buffet and saying to her several times, "You can't be that old".
Mon. June 18 Board of Directors meeting. A.M. Peisch conference room 4:30 PM
Tues. June 19 Regular Meeting 12:45, Hotel Coolidge.
Mon. June 25 Community Dinner Help needed.
Mon. June 25 Changing of the Gavel at Wallingford Little Red School House.
Tues. June 26 Regular Meeting 12:45, Hotel Coolidge.
Tues. July 3 Regular Meeting 12:45, Hotel Coolidge.
Mon. July 9 Pot Luck with the Tanakas and Changing of the Gavel
Mon. July 10 Board of Directors meeting with Governor Tony Gilmore. 10:45 A.M.
Mon. July 10 Regular Meeting 12:45, Hotel Coolidge. District Governor, Past District
Governors, Mr. and Mrs. Tanaka.
Sat. Sept. 8 Glory Days of the Railroad. Rotary to serve lunches
Larry Chase, Frank Kenison
Students of the Month: Honored every month between October and May on the second Tuesday at the Hartford Area Career and Technology Center.
Service Above Self Awards: Presented two or three times a year to high school students who have served their community in a volunteer program.
Notes by Gayle Ottmann River Log Construction by Phil Hammond
Editing by Gloria Hammond Website Keyboarding and Email by Phil Hammond