The Rotary Club of White River Junction, Vermont, USA
The River Log
October 15, 2019
Read "The Plus in Polio Plus"
The Rotarian, October 2019, p 30-49.
Note: With our varied meeting schedule it is important that those who do not attend a meeting due to the time it is held should be sure to read the River Log to keep up with the activities of the club.
The Pledge to the Flag was led by President PJ. Phil led the song "America the Beautiful".
Gayle gave the invocation
Carson Hutchinson, Pharm. D. Carson is desiring to join Rotary after a career in Interact, Rotaract, and Ryla during her high school and college careers.
Happy Dollars: Rotarian Ray Stanford served as Sergeant-at-Arms.
The following Rotarians were happy because:
* PJ - he is here and can welcome Carson.
* Phil - because Carson is the second person to contact us about joining through our website. The first, Nancy Russell, is now our District Governor; to remind all that we are participating in Operation Christmas Child by filling a shoebox with toys, school supplies and health items that will be sent around the world for Christmas. This is an international project for our club.
* George - for the joyous fall season.
* Ray - he can welcome Carson; of guests from Buffalo, New York at his and Sue's B&B .
* Gayle - she attended a pumpkin carving event and had a lot of fun.
* Steve - he is celebrating his mom's 79th birthday.
* Rich - PJ cancelled the board meeting last week; he had a great drive over the weekend to see the foliage.
* Jim - the steel is being erected at his church; the front of the church is closed up; they have begun a fund raising campaign.
* Dave FF - a new roof is going up at his museum - the original was built in 1893.
* Heather - it is fall!; she works at Cota & Cota.
Late: Cell phone:
No Pin: PJ No Badge: PJ
Member proposed Fines:
Songs: No songs today. The health benefits of singing were not realized.
50/50 drawing: No drawing today. We are still working on getting our act together.
With no program scheduled, PJ called on Steve Dotson to give a classification talk.
Steve works for the Army. He lives in Rutland and makes the trip back and forth every day. He transfered from a Rutland club. He is happy to call White River Rotary his Rotary family.
Carson Hutchinson gave a talk about her experiences in Rotary. Carson now wants to join Rotary and be involved.
L to R: Gayle Ottmann, Carson Hutchinson, George Wenz.
Other members in the background.
The rest of the program was a series of announcements. This would have been our usual Club Assembly, but the Board meeting did not take place.
* Polar Express tickets went live this morning on the Polar Express website. Approximately 400 tickets were sold before noon.
* The PEX sponsorship letter is available. Information cards will arrive from RI shortly.
* Trunk or Treat will take place on 10/26 from 4-6 PM. Rotarians are encouraged to donate candy or trinkets to the program.
* Arrangements have been made to bake the 3500 cookies for the PEX train and the staff of the cocoa shed has been lined up.
* A short discussion of the events of the Open Mike at the Public House. Plans are to have a trio of Rotarians sing several Rotary songs next Tuesday.
* Kipp announced that the business at the Gorge has been good. Bus traffic is down, but other traffic is up.
* Wayne asked that Rotarians remember October 24 is World Polio Day. Rotary is pledging $50,000 toward polio eradication which will be matched 2 for 1 by the Gates Foundation.
Our project of "Pints for Polio" is in the initial stages.
President PJ led the 4-Way test and the Rotary motto.
Mon. Oct. 21 Board of Directors - Mascoma Bank - 5:00 PM
Tue. Oct. 22 Regular Meeting 5:00 PM Public House, RT 4 Quechee. $20.00
Tue. Oct. 29 Fifth Tuesday to be announced.
There are some coming up !
Students of the Month: Honored every month between October and May on the second Tuesday at the Hartford Area Career and Technology Center.
Service Above Self Awards: Presented two or three times a year to high school students who have served their community in a vounteer program.
Members at the meeting: Are highlighted below:
Ken Baldwin (Associate), David Briggs, Lori Brown, Stephen Dotson, David F. Ford,
Erin Fredieu, Jeremy Greeley, Brannon Godfrey, Phil Hammond, Scott Hausler, Renee Hebert,
Richard Hoffman, Margo Howland, David Landry, Aaron MacAskill, Joe Major,
Craig McCullough, Kipp Miller, Kelli Morneau, Skip Nalette, Gayle Ottmann, Heather Potter,
Jim Rostron, Nancy Russell, Wayne Russell, David Saturley, Lisa Saturley, PJ Skehan,
Ray Stanford, Lynn Towne, Brad Vail, George Wenz. 12
Rotarians we missed: Are not highlighted above
Rotarians in Service to the community:
Community members helping Rotary:
Rotarians at Rotary Social Events:
12 / 28 = 43% at the meeting.
Make UPs Reported
Nancy and Wayne are on a visitation.
********************************************************************************************************* Notes by Gayle Ottmann River Log Construction by Phil Hammond
Editing by Gloria Hammond Keyboarding and Email by Phil Hammond