The Rotary Club of White River Junction, Vermont, USA
The River Log
JULY 28, 2020
Read "Better Together"
The Rotarian, July 2020, p 41-49.
The Pledge to the Flag was led by President Wayne. Phil lead the song "God Bless America".
Quiet Moment: Gayle read a funny story about the man in Northern Maine that moved South for the Winter to Vermont. Then Gayle offered a prayer.
Scott Ellison, UVAC; Vera Rivard, UVAC swimmer; Gloria Hammond.
No visiting Rotarians.
Happy Dollars: Rotarian Ray served as Sergeant-at-Arms.
The following Rotarians were happy because:
* Carson - her new job is fun; she received many responses for participants in her fund raising committee; she had dinner with George Wenz.
* Gayle - she is preparing for a weekend at Rangely Lake, Me. with family.
* Richard - of the leadership of HACTC Director, Doug Heavyside, due to the complications of opening the school with students from VT and NH.
* Nancy - August is Membership Month and New Club Development Month.
* Ken - he woke up this AM and is here.
* Gloria - the garden is producing.
* Phil - he is getting the weeds out of the corn/squash patch.
* Wayne - his first month as president is ending.
* Ray - he and Sue enjoyed 14 days with daughter and granddaughter; BB is opening slowly and guests are O.K. with social distancing.
Fines: No fines today.
Songs: No songs today.
50/50 drawing: No drawing during Zoom meetings.
Speaker - Vera Rivard, Open Water Swimmer
Vera, age 16, is sponsored by the Upper Valley Aquatic Center. Rotary has contributed to her expenses. Vera has been training to swim the English Channel and has been authorized to do so. Vera will have to be quarantined for 14 days before her August 24-29 window to swim the channel and will have to quarantine for 14 days when returning to the USA.
* Carson has new members lined up.
* Ken has 1 or 2 new members lined up.
* Gayle has 2 members lined up.
* Meeting at Dave Brigg's - no response from Dave, yet.
* President Wayne reported on the current RI Insurance program which does not provide coverage for Covid 19 or other infectious deseases.
* Department of Children and Families has not contacted Rotary to help out with back packs, yet.
* Gayle reported her learnings about Polar Express on a Rail Events Zoom meeting. Many varieties of conducting PEX are available this year.
* Gayle announced there will be a Charitable Fund Board meeting via Zoom on Thursday, 7-30-20 at 7:00 PM. The Annual Meeting of the Charitable Fund will be scheduled soon!
* Carson reported that Phil, Rich, Ray, Gayle, and Nancy agreed to be on the Fund Raising Committee which Carson is chairing.
* Gayle reported the Welcome Center at the Union Station was not funded and will not be opened for the remainder of the year.
President Wayne led the 4-Way test and the Rotary motto.
August 4, 2020 Rotary on Zoom at 6:00
August 10, 2020 Rotary Board Meeting on Zoom 5:00 PM
August 18, 2020 Rotary on Zoom at 6:00
Charitable Fund Annual Meeting following the Board Meeting.
September 1, 2020 Rotary on Zoom at 6:00
September 15, 2020 Rotary on Zoom at 6:00
September 29, 2020 Social Activity. Time and place TBD
None were admitted to.
Students of the Month: Honored every month between October and May on the second Tuesday at the Hartford Area Career and Technology Center. School is closed.
Service Above Self Awards: Presented two or three times a year to high school students who have served their community in a vounteer program. A program to be revitalized.
Members at the meeting: Are highlighted below.
Ken Baldwin (Associate), David Briggs, Stephen Dotson, David F. Ford, Erin Fredieu,
Jeremy Greeley, Brannon Godfrey, Phil Hammond, Scott Hausler, Renee Hebert,
Richard Hoffman, Margo Howland, Carson Hutchinson, David Landry, Aaron MacAskill,
Joe Major,Craig McCullough, Kipp Miller, Skip Nalette, Gayle Ottmann, Heather Potter,
Jim Rostron, Nancy Russell, Wayne Russell, David Saturley, PJ Skehan,
Ray Stanford, Lynn Towne, Brad Vail, George Wenz. 8 (29 COUNTED)
Rotarians in Service to the community:
Community members helping Rotary:
Rotarians at Rotary Social Events:
Rotarians we missed: Are not highlighted above.
8 / 29 = 28% at the meeting.
Make UPs Reported
Notes by Phil Hammond River Log Construction by Phil Hammond
Editing by Gloria Hammond Keyboarding and Email by Phil Hammond